Thursday 10 March 2011

Plastic Free???

OK, Ash Wednesday was plastic free. Or rather I bought no new plastic.

I did however use my plastic Oyster card to get my onto public transport with plastic coated seating and rails; make calls, texts and emails from my plastic phone, work on my plastic computer, write with my plastic biro, file papers in plastic sleeves, put plastic lights on my bike....

I could shift to using paper tickets rather than an Oyster card but I think that multiple tickets over years would probably have more environmental impact than one piece of plastic that gets recharged.

Not having a computer is not really a practical option given that I work for myself. But I can make every effort to ensure it lasts as long as possible. (I believe there are now computers that use bamboo instead of plastic as much as possible, will do some research on them.)

I have the bike lights already so better to use them until they wear out - however there's another area to research.

Is a mobile phone a luxury or a necessity? Certainly not having one would make my life quite difficult living and working as I do in a society where most people do.

But I can certainly look up greener paper filing options. And start carrying and using my fountain pen more rather than disposable biros.

No comments:

Post a Comment