Saturday 20 March 2010

Confession Time

Well it is Lent after all.....

I have been getting a bit slack about this giving up plastic malarky. A couple of times recently I have had takeaway drinks in cardboard cups with the little plastic lids.

Once I was in Leon on Regent St. Now Leon if you don't know it is a fabulous concept, aiming to be a healthy fast food chain. Their food is very scrumptious and I love the way they think about food. So I had ordered a Ginger Steeper (basically just chunks of raw ginger with hot water - delicious but oh my, their profit margins must be huge on this one) to have in. And before I could stop him my server had sorted out the drink and then plonked a plastic top on it. And did the same to my companions'.

Now I could have taken the time to ask him to take it off, and explained that I'd given up plastic, but you know, sometimes you just can't be bothered to have the conversation. And, given that it had already gone on the cup I assume they would have had to through it away anyway rather than be able to re-use it.

However this story does have a postscript for I follow one of the founders and directors of Leon on Twitter. So I tweeted @henry_leon to ask if he could sort it so this didn't happen again. And he said it would. If anyone's near the Regent Street Leon do go in and check. And maybe have some food while you're there, it's fabulous.

The other time was a free tea offered to me in Pret.

I've also been buying milk a plenty in plastic bottles. Because I have builders. And they require tea. And haven't got organised enough to have a milk delivery in glass bottles or to make it down to the wonderful Unpackaged enough to pick up a proper bottle there. But plastic bottles deserve their own post. As do plastic bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment