Wednesday 6 April 2011

Ban Plastic Bags

Even when I'm not giving up plastic for Lent I try always to have a reusable cotton bag with me for my shopping. I'm green like that you see. But convincing people one by one to stop using plastic bags is never going to have the same effect as a blanket ban on them.

Italy's done it.

Mexico City's passed a law giving authorities the power to fine businesses that give free plastic bags to their customers. Though I wonder whether such a law will ever be rigorously enough enforced.

And a whole heap of other countries have either banned them outright, or banned the thinnest ones, including Eritrea, Rwanda, South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania. In Ireland plastic bag used dropped by 90% once charges were introduced. Other countries have been charging or making noises about banning or charging including France, Switzerland, Germany and Holland.

No comments:

Post a Comment